Monday, October 23, 2006

Madonna Adoption


I have mixed thought on this... During my teenage years, I was a huge fan of hers. Some of the more controversial things she has done has made me question her morals and intentions.

I think that the fact that she is making a large donation to help orphaned children is awesome. I think the fact that she is making others know more about this area of the world and its orphans, is also awesome.

I don't like the fact that it appears, they side stepped some rules for her. I hate it when celebrities are excluded from the law (can you say O.J. Simpson??). Okay, this is not that extreme but still a law is a law and should apply to everyone.

Here is a letter from Madonna: If she indeed is following the law then I want to be one of the first to congratulate her on the adoption of her new son!

(CNN) -- The following is the text of the letter Madonna sent news agencies, titled "An Open Letter from Madonna":

My husband and I began the adoption process many months prior to our trip to Malawi. I did not wish to disclose my intentions to the world prior to the adoption happening as this is a private family matter. After learning that there were over one million orphans in Malawi, it was my wish to open up our home and help one child escape an extreme life of hardship, poverty and in many cases death, as well as expand our family.

Nevertheless, we have gone about the adoption procedure according to the law like anyone else who adopts a child. Reports to the contrary are totally inaccurate. The procedure includes an l8 month evaluation period after which time we hope to make this adoption permanent. This was not a decision or commitment that my family or I take lightly.

I am overwhelmed and inspired by my trip to Malawi and hope that it helps bring attention to how much more the world needs to do to help the children of Africa.

My heartfelt thanks for all the good wishes I have received and I hope the press will allow my family some room for us to experience the joy we feel to have David home.

Madonna Ritchie
October 17, 2006
London, England

No comments: