Monday, April 17, 2006

Hiring a parent??



I was watching the news this morning and once again saw a report on parents hiring others to do their "parenting" duties. I had seen this before and it disturbed me then as well.

These parents are hiring others to train their kids to ride a bike, potty train, etc. Maybe I am old fashioned but I think that it is a priviledge of a parent to teach and celebrate these milestones with their children. How exciting when your child takes off on their bike for the first time without training wheels. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

I can just see these children being asked by their future children, "Dad, did your Dad teach you to ride a bike?" "No, son. My Dad hired some stranger to teach me since he didn't have any time to spend with me. Other things were more important to him" How sad!

I say that if you don't have time to share experiences with your child then maybe you should have made the decision to not have children at all!

1 comment:

MarylandMommy said...

I agree! Seth is just starting to ride his bide w/o training wheels & I am loving every minute of it!