Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Unbelievable!!!


I saw something on a news program last week asking if people are more rude than they use to be. YES! YES! YES!

Either that or I seem to be attracting them lately.

Today, while I was picking up Delaney at pre-school, I attracted yet another one.

We were walking to get in our car. As we turned the corner of the van, I hear, "Don't ding my vehicle, I know I am parked close." This coming from a lady in a very large Cadillac Escalade. She was also late to pick up her dtr. as it was already 2:35.

I said, "Yes, you are."

She says, "It was the only space left."

As I turn sideways to try to fit in between the two vehicles, I figure out that there is NO way possible I am going to have enough room to get in. Okay, I need to lose a few pounds but I am not THAT big!

I comment, "I don't think I am going to be able to get in my car"

She says, "GREAT!

I start walking to the other side of my van to get Delaney in.

She says"You already have YOUR kid!" (I nicely held my tongue. Some how now it is my fault she is late)

A friend of hers yells from across the parking lot "I'll get her for you".

She yells, "Thanks, I HAVE TO FIND ANOTHER PARKING SPACE!".

She begins backing up and I say, "Just back up enough so I can get in then you can go ahead and park.

She snarls, "Just forget it!"

Nice!!! So I am to blame for her huge vehicle, her being late, etc.

I am trying really hard to take the high road and be nice in response. It gets really hard sometimes.

Another incident occurred in Chicago. No offense but we attracted quite a few rude people there.

We were in the Field Museum when Delaney announces, "I have to go potty".
Now mind you, Delaney does not give advanced warning when she says "go", she has to "go". She is only four, she is still learning.

I rush around and find a bathroom at the museum. LONG LINE!!Oh no! I look at her and she is already doing the "dance"- not good!

I say, "Oh baby, there is no way you are going to be able to hold it this long."

I politely say, "Excuse me" and start making my way to the head of the line.
I hear, "Excuse me! The line is back there!'
-"I am aware of that but she is about to pee her pants".
I go to the first person in line and ask her permission to go ahead of her, explaining our situation.

Luckily she said "Okay" or we would have used the sink or trashcan. Hey, when a girl has to go!

As Delaney is doing her business the line has a conversation about me cutting in line. These are grown adults mind you.

We come out and I hear a nasty, "THANK YOU!!!". I respond, "Thank you." Then-"It is not like we weren't standing in line for the same thing!!!"

I nicely ignored that comment and walked on. I had a few responses, "I am sorry but if you have problems with incontinence, you need to see a doctor". or "I would rather hear your hateful words for 2 minutes than listen to and watch my child be uncomfortable in wet pants for 2 hours"

People never cease to amaze me. So, when you encounter a rude person, just be polite then walk away. You will feel better about yourself in the long run.

No comments: